Sunday, May 2, 2010

Back from the Dead


As you may have noticed, we haven't posted anything on the blog for a while. I'll explain.

The first few months here were pretty slow. Tate couldn't find anybody to interview, and I couldn't find any work. It seemed like the whole country was in suspended animation. Then we realized: it was summer vacation, and the French take their vacations seriously.

But in March, everybody came back and our lives exploded.

Tate began working with artists and music groups all over Nouméa. She's teaching English at two different community centers, making music videos, writing songs, and trying to get the government to pay for brass instruments for young musicians.

I've been teaching English at a language school, working as a private tutor, leading city tours for Australian cruise ship passengers, doing freelance advertising work, and developing a pilot for local tv with a French director I met.

It's a lot of stuff.

So the blog fell by the wayside. But last week we took a week-long trip to Vanuatu. It was a little holiday to mark the half-way point in our time here (I know. It's going fast.) We came back refreshed and recommitted to chronicling our adventures.

I can't promise we'll get to every story that passed during our 2-month absence. But hopefully we'll post a little more regularly and bring this zombie blog back to life.

So stay tuned. There's a lot to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment