On the night of December 31st, everyone in Nouméa goes crazy. They drink, they dance, and a lot of people set off their own fireworks.
So the city council has decided that instead of trying to compete with these fireworks, they'll just move the official ones a few days later, to January 4th. This seems pretty weird to me, but I guess they figure everyone's slept off their collective hangover by then and is ready for another party.
The really cool thing is, these fireworks happen right outside our window. We live next to the harbor, and the two launching barges parked right where the cruise ships normally do. We had a few friends over to watch the festivities, which you can see above.
Note: In French, fireworks are called "feux d'artifice." When I read that in the newspaper I asked Tate, "Why are they so excited about fake fire?"

No comments:
Post a Comment