Since the last post, we've gotten a few comments asking what "jambers" are.
We don't know.
But I have two possible guesses. My first guess was that it's the Vanuatu version of "jandals" which is a New Zealand word for "sandals" or "flip-flops." We heard it all the time when we were in Auckland in 2003, and I was recently chastised for wearing them to a professional event here in Nouméa. So I think the term is in common use across the Pacific.

But flip-flops don't really make sense in the context of the message, which is telling us what to bring on a trip to an active volcano. Mr. Nakua says to bring walking shoes, jambers and a torch (i.e. flashlight) because it's really windy up on the volcano.
With that in mind, my second guess is that "jambers" is a Vanuatu pronunciation of "jumpers" which is what a lot of non-Americans call "sweaters."
Sadly, it's not very exciting. But it makes sense. I think Mr. Nauka is saying "It's going to be cold and windy. Wear good shoes, bring a sweater, and carry a flashlight." Pretty good advice if you're going here:
Maybe your jamber is meant to protect you from the burning ash and stray chunks of lava. It might have been clearer if he had just written "volcano-proof jacket."

No comments:
Post a Comment